At the Royal Alexandra Children's Hospital Emergency Department
The values of the Hospital Youth Work Project are
- Engagement – Our service is most effective when we can engage with young people directly and quickly. The relaunched service will prioritise direct delivery in the RACH CED.
- Excellence – Our referral criteria have narrowed to ensure our service is not spread too thinly, which had the potential to erode service quality.
- Enhancing the experience of young people – We want to be part of creating an excellent experience for young people visiting the RACH CED. We plan to be present more, delivering in the CED 12-6pm each weekday.
The service will provide a hub for interpersonal work, safety planning, signposting and referrals, service liaison and follow up calls/meetings for outstanding agreed and codesigned interventions with young people needing additional support.
- Patients aged 11-17
- Violence, victimhood, criminal exploitation, and re-attendance, e.g.:
- Possible non-accidental / suspicious injury knife / weapon carrying
- County Lines / Drug dealing / Risky Drug use
- Violence / Harmed by violence
- Suspicion of grooming / radicalization
- Missing Episodes
With any additional capacity, Hospital Youth Workers will be working in the RACH to support young people directly with any presenting ‘social risk factors’ (substance &alcohol use, risky sexual activity/behaviours, harmful relationships, and general concerns for support).
TDC youth workers will also be mindful of the wider needs of the young people and offer support and signposting to other young people, where appropriate. We will provide supportive and signposting literature for clinicians and young people to help young people regulate, and access relevant support services.
Open to referrals from CED, HDU & Medical clinicians within operational hours (Monday - Friday 12-6pm)
Open to RACH Safeguarding team at all times - our interventions with young people will be in-real-life if in the RACH, or by follow-up call (with 48hours) if discharged. Young persons’ consent and contact details will have been obtained.
Open to communication with all RACH departments re: support of young people
The Alex's Hospital Youth Workers are Seano Older and Roman Waters