COVID -19 UPDATES
All our courses have been cancelled until the Government advises it is safe to run them again. We are looking at creative ways of running alternative courses online and will remote these online and through social media when available. Please contact us if there are any course you would like now.
TDC Community Learning Contact Details
Emma Reeves, Community Development Worker
07411 251 969 [email protected]
Community Buildings Network
In line with Government advice, we are supporting all community buildings to close for their usual business. Where necessary such as for emergency food distribution and COVID-19 responses, we are supporting community buildings to open in a restricted and safe way for volunteers, staff and community members.
We are working with the Community Buildings Network to create an information sheet for community building managers and will be surveying members to assess their emerging needs. More to follow as it is developed.
TDC Community Buildings contact details
Claire Burchell, Citywide Manager 07809 829 734 [email protected]
Through our citywide work we are currently supporting:
* No Holds Barred (an inclusive community group) to register as a Community Interest Company so they can start to run a café at Tarner Children’s Centre
* ADHD Aware to review their sustainability and apply for a resilience fund grant from Brighton and Hove City Council (BHCC). If successful they will pilot having a mix of neuro-diverse and neuro-typical committee members.
* Syrian Community Group to receive a grant from BHCC, review their governance arrangements and start to put systems in place.
* Community Buildings Network to apply for a resilience fund grant from BHCC to offer non-managerial supervision for six community building managers and to recruit a website volunteer.
Under the Community Buildings Network banner we are supporting three demonstration projects
* Millwood Community Centre – who are looking at encouraging more community activities in the building with a long term view of recruiting committee members. We are also liaising with the Council about the group’s lease for the building
* Woodingdean Community Centre – we have arranged for the solicitor Tim Smith to advise the group on their governance arrangements and relationship with their trading arm, the Java Café.
* St Richards – who have been supported to develop a business plan and funding application for major works.
We have developed a comprehensive community buildings health check and are offering free review sessions for interested building managers and committees. We are currently working with Old Boat Community Centre in Hollingbury, Hangleton Community Centre and St George’s in Moulsecoomb.
We are supporting the CBN Committee to host two events – one on dementia friendliness, involving trustees, volunteers and key policies and another about fundraising and learning from the demonstration projects.